[openSLE] [opensuse-project] openSUSE Long Term Support...

Bruce Black bruceablack at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:47:34 MDT 2009

The company I work for just implemented SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
on our main systems per requests/recommendation from a third party.
The third party helps maintain some applications that run on these
servers (they are all familiar with SUSE hence the
request/recommendation).

We also have a number of servers that run CentOS. Furthermore, we are
audited by third parties and it is very nice to be able to reference
Red Hat's security bulletins. I use these security bulletins to prove
to the auditors that the issues they find have been fixed via Red
Hat's back ports. I just have to show that the CentOS system is
current with its updates and remind them that "CentOS is an
Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely
provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux
vendor." www.centos.org

I would be happy to have all my Linux installs using the same distro
family. We would be an example of a company that pays for support on
critical systems but uses the freely available alternative on less
critical systems. A win-win for both companies in my mind.

With that said, my hope is that this group takes the approach that
CentOS does with Red Hat.

Later,

Bruce