[openSLE] Next steps and a possible legal entity.

Mariano Iumiento miumiento at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 04:34:04 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 18:36 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> Hello,
> Over the next few weeks I would like to decide a few things.  I have been 
> working with an attorney/lawyer to put together a possible legal entity. 
> I have two options.  A non-profit company and a business trust that also 
> is non profit.  I will provide these if/when we may need them.  I think 
> that some of this could be discussed at the SUSE conference and this list 
> or IRC.

My 2 cents...

> 1.  What would be the best option to show Novell that we are really 
> serious about this project.

I'm not sure if this has been evaluated, but the 'SUSE Appliance
program' [1] is the formal Partners/ISV possibility to develop any SLEx
based appliances by using either KIWI, SUSE Studio, SLE JeOS, SLES for
Amazon EC2. I would say 'go for the SUSE Studio'. [2]

The program allows a Novell Business Partner company to be supported
with their developed appliance.
The requirement is that (obviously) there has to be an agreement between
the Technology Partner and Novell that requires a fee to be paid (it's
some sort of percentage on revenue). [3]
The program allows a free trial evaluation to potential customers as per
the SLES evaluation licensing making more easy sales.

I think that all this stuff should be analyzed more in details. [4]

> 2.  What type of a group should this be?  Should we have a legal 
> Organization?  If yes what type of Organization should it be?

Considering that there is a real intention about doing this project,
either by creating some sort of organization (either profit or
non-profit) or by just creating a Community, there is surely the need of
some sort of budgets.

Therefore, I believe that the solution could be something like:
- Setup a profit organization and 'organize' it (employees?).
- Define the 'go-to-market' model (i.e.: even if there is a fee to
provide to Novell, there is also some earning from 'selling' the
appliance that could probably justify the fee and pay the 'organization'
- Contact Novell [5] for more details and establish the agreement.

> 3.  Which way do we want to go?  openSUSE LTS or openSLE
> Just a few of my thoughts.

If this will be the decision to follow, than an 'openSLE' solution would
be THE way to go.

I would be happy to contribute in some of the activities (limited time),
so let's stay tuned on how things will be decided.

[1] http://www.novell.com/partners/technology/isv/appliance/
[3] http://www.novell.com/partners/technology/isv/appliance/program.html
[5] http://www.novell.com/partners/technology/isv/appliance/contact.html

Mariano Iumiento
miumiento [at] gmail [dot] com
openSUSE Marketing Team
Blogs: http://marigeek.blogspot.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/miumiento

More information about the OpenSLE mailing list