[openSLE] Status Nov 1 2009

Boyd Lynn Gerber gerberb at zenez.com
Sun Nov 1 17:05:31 MST 2009

Hello,

With the announcement

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2009-10/msg00013.html

We now have the oportunity to now really be able to provide and openSUSE
LTS with out a lot of obstucales.   In the various talks we have had it
appears the given the current economic climit, we could posssibly do more
harm than good with an openSLES.  Most of the members that have stepped up
to be willing to do the security updates and back ports have come from the
openSUSE community.   There have been talks with the SLES managment and
the ones that I thought would be behind such and effort right now see it
as more of a problem;  Natuarlly there are those that are the
free-loaders, who do not steop up to the plate.  Also I was in hopes of
gaining support from Novell in the form of a free SLSE with updates so we
do not in any way endanger current licenses.  We need to take this all in
mind with our decisison as to which initiative we choose.  This is the
current state.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb at zenez.com> 801 849-0213
ZENEZ	1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047