[openSLE] More on how I see our options and the pros and cons.

Boyd Lynn Gerber gerberb at zenez.com
Fri Aug 28 11:34:28 MDT 2009

Hello,

So lets start with doing an openSLED.

I really do not see it as an option.  openSUSE and SLED fill this
requirement.  So there is no need for it.  openSUSE is adding features
to it that really make using openSUSE as a desktop the best option.
Also if the organization or individual really need better support from a
larger company they have SLED So this takes us from

openSLED
openSLES
openSUSE LTS to

just

openSLES
openSUSE LTS.

So the group must decide on which of the openSUSE LTS or openSLES they
want to do.  This is what I have so far on pros and cons for each.

openSLES

Pro
1.  security fixes are already done for the lifetime of the release.
2.  Smaller number of rpm's
3.  Server oriented without a lot of clutter.
4.  All that would be needed is to remove the branding and rebrand it for
       openSLES.  A much smaller task.
5.  Binary compatible for SLES.

Cons
1.  Possiblity of antagonizing the Novell upper management.(Probable)
2.  Not the most politically acceptable solution
3.  Needs legal advice to conform to legal requirements.
4.  Needs a legal entity to control the SLES subscription and have the
       ability to get the patches to SLES. (Might be considered a pro)
5.  May need community provided local BS.

openSUSE LTS
Pros
1.  No real legal issues.
2.  The ability to choose just the OSS easily.
3.  Large base of openSUSE users.
4.  Definitely able to use the OBS.
5.  Community driven in all ways.

Cons
1.  More packages that have to be paired down to a workable number.
2.  Community driven in all ways.
3.  Do we have enough people we trust to do back ports over the lifetime?
4.  Need highly driven members as everything will be on their sholders.
5.  I feel there will be more work with openSUSE LTS than with openSLE.

It has been said time and time again that the openSUSE community is free
to create a community supported LTS and Novell will assist and provide the
necessary infrastructure but will not help by maintaining any packages.

Personally I really doubt there are enough willing and able people in the
current community to properly backport e.g. security fixes, drivers for
the kernel, and so on.  This is why I think the idea of a "cummunity
supported LTS" won't work. (or at least will not produce anything "One
would want to run on a public server").

Therefore I fee the right option is the do an openSLES, but this as of yet
has not been decided.  For the OBS there is already done a front end
bsgit*.  So using git as our VCS is my choice.

* bsgit http://gitorious.org/opensuse/bsgit

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb at zenez.com> 801 849-0213
ZENEZ	1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047