[openSLE] Current status from all channels and discussions.

Boyd Lynn Gerber gerberb at zenez.com
Thu Aug 27 11:15:27 MDT 2009

Hello,

I had 50 people request taking the topic off list.  I have had 20 people
express an opinion on what to do.  So here is the results.

10 people only want to work on an SLES product being openSLES
10 people want an openSUSE LTS

So it is split.  The majority of people wanting an openSUSE LTS have
requested we use the list of rpm's from SLES in pairing down the modules
and then consider a few extras TBD.  All have agreed that doing a complete
openSUSE LTS would be a lot of work and that we really do not have the man
power to do it.

2 people suggested we take the openSUSE Edu and use it to create or
product.  I guess the name would be openSUSE-Edu LTS.

I have talked with a lawyer, but he does not specialize in this area.  His
comment was we should be fine using the SLES as long as we avoid any
propritary RPM's.  He also said it would be good to present this list to
an attorney that specialized in this field.  He did not really have any
names to contact.  He suggested the FSF maybe willing to look at it and
render an opinion on the list.

The main reason for doing an openSUSE LTS was to avoid any conflicts with
Novell.  They reasoned that taking the exact same list as SLES and using
the openSUSE src-RPM's we would be on solid ground and Novell would not
have a leg to stand-on to object.  We would avoid the non-oss RPM's.

My only concern doing this is that it may not be binary compatible with
SLES.

So how do we break this dead lock of 10-10.  I wish more people would
express their opinions.

I have not had time to go through all the logs I have of IRC on the
#opensue-server list.  I am missing any logs from Aug 15-20th.  So if
someone has these logs and would email me them I will read them.

Some have asked that we ask Novell for a blessing in doing this.  I really
doubt we will get one.  From my personal talks with Novell, they think
this will lower their sales of SLES and are against it.

I think trying to get a blessing from Novell prior to starting will be
fruitless.  I sub scribe to the view it is easier to ask for forgiveness
(should it be needed) than to get the permission ahead of time.

I think the only way to demostrate to Novell that this aids their sales
and does not take away from it is us doing it and seeing what happens.  I
really do not think anyone will be able to really predict what will happen
should there be an openSLE.  I am in the camp of doing an openSLE over
doing an openSUSE LTS.  But I will go with the community consensus.

So please speak up.  What do you think we should do and your reasons for
doing it.

BTW, does anyone know a lawyer in this field of SW that would be able to
review our work for legal correctness.

I think are first task is deciding which way we want to go and then
developing the guidelines.  Once we have the guidelines I think we should
do rpm lint checks for them where possible to make sure we abid by the
guidelines.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb at zenez.com> 801 849-0213
ZENEZ	1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047