[openSLE] Pros and Cons of the two choices.

Boyd Lynn Gerber gerberb at zenez.com
Sun Aug 23 22:10:59 MDT 2009

Hello All,

I see the following with regard to the two choices.

openSLE

Pro
1.  security fixes are already done for the lifetime of the release.
2.  Smaller number of rpm's
3.  Server oriented without a lot of clutter.
4.  All that would be needed is to remove the branding and rebrand it for
     openSLE.  A much smaller task.
5.  Binary compatible for SLES.

Cons
1.  Possiblity of antagonizing the Novell upper management.
2.  Not the most politically acceptable solution
3.  Needs legal advice to conform to legal requirements.
4.  Needs a legal entity to control the SLES subscription and have the
     ability to get the patches to SLES. (Might be considered a pro)
5.  May need community provided local BS.

openSUSE LTS
Pros
1.  No real legal issues.
2.  The ability to choose just the OSS easily.
3.  Large base of openSUSE users.
4.  Definitely able to use the OBS.
5.  Community driven in all ways.

Cons
1.  More packages that have to be paired down to a workable number.
2.  Community driven in all ways.
3.  Do we have enough people we trust to do back ports over the lifetime?
4.  Need highly driven members as everything will be on their sholders.
5.  I feel there will be more work with openSUSE LTS than with openSLE.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb at zenez.com> 801 849-0213
ZENEZ	1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047